The city of Love – Here are some facts you should know about Paris
Many people have visited this amazing city but there is always something else to know about Paris – The city of love
But many don’t know the facts about Paris and we think you might find these interesting:
Paris was Lutetia
1. Paris was founded in the 3rd century BC, believe it or not, and it was previously called Lutetia.
Some say that Lutetia was located at the same place where present Nanterre is located. The locals of Nanterre call themselves ‘Parisii’ and they gave the name ‘Paris’ to Lutetia
2. There are 1803 monuments and 173 museums in Paris. There are 450 parks and gardens in the city and there are 400 movie screens. It is interesting that photo shooting in Paris free except for scenes shot in gardens, museums, and swimming pools. In these cases, a fee is to be paid to the city.
3. The statues around the Place de la Concorde represent eight large cities of France: Strasbourg, Marseille, Lyon, Lille, Nantes, Brest, Rouen and Bordeaux.
4. There is an inscription with the Universal Declaration of Human rights of 1789 at the Concorde metro station by the artist Francoise Schein (1990) which says: “Letter after letter, the text spreads out across the entire surface of the archway and the walls on the platform of line 12”.
Highest skyscraper in France – The First Tower
5. The First tower, is the highest skyscraper in France – 231 meters. It is situated in the business quarter of La Defense.
6. The Paris Metro is the 4th largest public transport system in the world with 302 stations.
7. The longest street in Paris is 4.360 meters long and it is called rue Vaugirard in the 15h arrondissement.
8. The shortest street in Paris is 6 meters long and it is called rue des Degres in the 2nd arrondissement.
9. The only army in Europe that still has carrier pigeons in its ranks is the French army. These pigeons can be used to carr transmissions in the situations of a major catastrophe.
10. Fun fact, there are 470.000 trees in Paris – for real.
11. Paris is the only city to present haute couture shows – in the fashion world.
12. The most visited monument of Paris is the Notre-Dame cathedral and it is said that in 2014, there were 14 million visitors.
Like our posts? Subscribe for more news.
Let us know if you have some fun facts about Paris and which is your favorite city.